Thursday 6 November 2014

Bendito's Machine III, weird but wonderful!! #edcmooc

Well this is the first week of my ELearning and Digital Cultures MOOC with the University of Edinburgh and so far so good. I've read a number of articles regarding MOOC's but never joined one until now.

I'd read stories of MOOC's being chaotic and unorganised but I feel that so far this MOOC is anything but, it's organised and well structured (let's see how the Google Hangout goes at the end of the week).

I believe that learning should be for everyone and MOOC's give people the opportunities to have that access where they normally would have to pay a fee, subscription etc.

I think the most interesting thing I've read or seen this week is the video of Bendito'a Machine 3. When I started watching I thought it was some weird dream. The animated film reminds me of everyone reading and believing everything that the medias says and then when that changes they move on to the next source of information. A bit like the Dystopia of the public's fascination with modern gadgets and technology, and how they become caught up with the next new thing, a bit like a magpie, looking for what's new and shiny!! Although I feel that this is the way we could be going with new technology I would hope that we can find the Utopian ideal of picking and choosing what we see fit to watch and believe and ultimately create the utopia where they have the desired social and cultural impact to make us all individuals and not slaves to the machine.

So my MOOC is going well, it's interesting from a personal point of view of what I'm learning about ELearning and Digital Cultures but also I'm benefiting from finding out more about MOOC's and experiencing them first hand.

Watch it now if you haven't already and have a good week everyone!!

Bendito's Machine III

3 comments:

  1. Hi Alan,

    thanks for sharing what content you like best. Really helpful - although I also feel less overwhelmed, yet, than expected. But I guess it is going to hit eventually ;-)

    What resonates even more for me in the Bendito'a Machine 3 video is how everybody get's totally absorbed in something new and there is no room at all for anything else - undtil the herd suddenly moves on to something new.

    A lot of thought for thought.

    Veronika

    ReplyDelete
  2. Its also my first time partaking in EDMOOC, I am excited about it as well as enjoying all the resources...But I do worry, what would I be required to do at the end of the course and how do I actively participate along the way.... Hope to learn more from the peers in this course too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi guys thanks for joining in, I agree Veronika, I think Bendito's machine demonstrates the constant need for the most up to date thing/technology and how we are slaves to it sometimes.

    Siti I'm sure we can all get through the MOOC together, I'm especially looking forward to creating my Digital Artifact at the end of the MOOC, should be interesting :)

    ReplyDelete